Monday, May 30, 2011

Donde en el mundo is Elder Call?

Hola mi familia,

In case you didn´t know this letter is coming from Oaxaca, no, really, it´s coming from Oaxaca.  Right now I´m 5 hours through winding roads from the city of Juchitan, mi padre Elder Jimenez, and little Union Hidalgo.  I didn´t see it coming, as a greenie who is supposed to be being trained, I didn't expect to be transferred this cambio, but turns out I´m now here in Oaxaca.  The name of my new area is Casa Blanca (not sure if it´s two words or one, but it´s Casa Blanca or White house if you prefer).  But ya, my new companion is Elder Pimentel, his old companion went over to Union Hidalgo and I came here.  His old comp was Elder Statterfield, who arrived in my generation from the MTC.  He was in Elder Day´s district.  So ya, here I am, I´ll answer questions and then talk more.
 
(Did you get the power back on?  What was the problem?)

1.  We got the power back on Monday night, after an hour in the dark at the house without successfully solving the problem ourselves or without being able to get a hold of the owner, the owner finally answered, and he came over and couldn´t figure it out for a long time, but he eventually called someone over with the keys to the house next door, and after tinkering around in the other house they found something wrong over there, fixed it, and the light came forth once more.  So, we slept that night with fans and could actually sleep.

Since I´m talking about the heat in our old house, the heat here really isn´t that bad.  It´s raining right now, so it´s nice and cool (although it is hot, the heat of Union Hidalgo is burned into my memory and it really does feel a lot nicer here.).  So that's pretty awesome.  I didn´t feel the difference from here to Union at first because everywhere was way hot compared to Boise and Utah before arriving here.  But coming back to Oaxaca, there really is a difference, hopefully the difference stays even after the rain passes.
 
(Did you get a new apartment?)

2.  Well, we didn´t get a new apartment, but I ended up with a new apartment anyway, I haven´t seen much of my area yet, but the house here is way nice compared to Union, I mean really nice.  The problem is, that in about a week, we are going to have to rent a new house somewhere else.  An Area Seventy made a rule that missions can no longer have 4 missionaries in a house, and the one that I will be in for a little bit has four, so we have to move.  This rule makes me sad, I think it´d be extremely nice to have four missionaries in the same place, it can be relieving to have someone different to talk to.  But this rule is made for all of the missions in Mexico, not just Oaxaca, so I can´t do anything but follow, so hopefully the place we end up at is still better than my old place at Union.  I wish I could stay in the one we have right now, I'll send pics of how nice it is.
 
(When is zone conference?) 

3.  I have no idea when Zone Conference will be.  No one else is sure yet either.  I don´t know how to check on the packages, and I feel bad now, because now I can´t give the hymn books to the branch I´m over 5 hours away!
 
(Did you have your baptism on Sunday?)

4.  Sigh... This is my biggest disappointment yet.  Melina´s family has been giving her a hard time, and Ignacio (her boyfriend who introduced her to us) is going to have his family come to the baptism, so it was moved back to this coming Sunday, which was okay, until Saturday night when I got the call that informed me I was leaving.  So now I still will have zero baptisms.  I´m really sad about it, because I was so excited it would´ve been my first baptism, and she was just a really neat person to know.  And now I won´t be there for her baptism.  This is my biggest disappointment so far on my mission.
 
(Have you been able to email Brandon?  Anyone else's email addresses you would like?)

5.  I sent him a quick one once, and got only a quick response, I´m sure he doesn´t have a ton of time, I need to send him a good letter sometime.  But I wouldn´t mind having Trevor's and Andrew´s emails so I can write real quick sometime.  So send me whoever else's address that I can write real quick every once in a while.
 
(Any other "unexpected" issues with your house this week?)

6.  Everything finally went smoothly for a whole week, our house worked fine, although this morning the water didn´t come on.  But I´m not living there anymore, so hopefully Elder Jimenez and Statterfield can fix it.  Haha.  Oh, I really did enjoy that story that Wes had sent to Brandon, it was really neat to hear, especially when it mentioned the cockroaches, cuz in the middle of the night last night I woke up with a giant cockroach crawling on my face!  It was massive too!  I kinda flipped since it was crawling for my mouth and I flung it off only for it to land on my leg, I snapped a quick photo when I finally got it off me, for memories sake. haha.  No bueno.
 
(Any new investigators?)

7.  Well, I´ve lost all my old investigators, though we did find a new one on Saturday that should be promising, but I´m not there anymore.

Sorry, I´ve gotta go here, so maybe no photos, but seeing as we won´t stay in the house anyway I suppose it doesn´t matter.  I´ll talk with you next week.  I love you all!  I guess you may also wanna know that my comp doesn´t speak English, the pressure is on.  So ya.. Love you all!

Love,
Jordan

Here is a pic of us at the internet really quickly.  It´s a totally different world here than in Union.  I hope that I return to Juchitan area sometime later in my mish though.  I really want a hammock, and they aren´t really used up here.  So I don´t have the chance to get one here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment