Monday, May 9, 2011

Hola de Juchitan!

Hola mi familia,
 
I´m glad that we got to talk with each other yesterday and that it all worked out well.  I hope that you had a great mother´s day! I don´t think I remembered to tell you that!  So I´m going to say it now just in case.  Happy Mother´s day!  I love you mom and I hope you know that, even though I´m far away in another country.I don´t have an email with questions so I guess I´ll just start talking, I´m not sure what to say because we talked yesterday.  So this email may be short, I want to write Brandon, but I can´t remember his email, so please give it to me when you write me next.
 
Ummm... lets see.  I told you about eating the blood and cow intestines, that was fun.  I told you bout the nail hitting me in the face.  What else happened this week...  We didn´t have any investigators show up to church.  Which makes me sad, we had two investigators with baptism dates, but because they didn´t come now we don´t have any baptismal dates.  Although yesterday was the largest number of people we´ve had in church so far, about 30 people, a good amount of inactive people we visited showed up.  The investigator I´m most sad about that didn´t come is Maravilla.  We first met her husband on my first Sunday here.  We set a return date with him three days later on Wednesday.  He wasn´t there, and we returned every day after for a week (to his house) and nobody was ever there.  We ran into him the next week and he had his little son with him, it was funny because his son was saying,  we were hiding we were hiding.  Felipe was embarrassed.  We set another time to return, he again wasn´t there, but his wife Maravilla was.  We taught her and have taught her several times since.  We even set a baptismal day with her that she accepted.  But she didn´t show up to church, so it´s no longer valid because of the mission rules that an investigator has to go to church 3 times before being baptized.
 
I´m just a little bit frustrated at how we´ve been unable to have success.  We working, and we´re trying.  We taught the most lessons this week out of our district, but none of the people we teach will progress.  It´s hard because the people here are always working, they only have a little bit of time to themselves ever, and there is only two things it seems that they do with their free time.  Sleep and party.  I´m really not kidding.  every house that we are actually let into to teach when we are tracting, is houses where we can clearly see the person doing nothing but laying in a hammock.  And there is always loud fireworks going off all the time.  But I dunno.  E Jimenez has said that he didn´t work this hard in his first area.  I don´t know any more detail than that, but that´s what he said.  So I dunno, but I really want to teach someone that will actually listen and progress.  At the zone conference President De La Cruz told all of us to find a family of people to baptize, we´ve been trying, but we haven´t found a family willing to listen.  And I really want to baptize a family, that would be awesome!  I can´t be picky about who we baptize I know, but I just want someone to actually teach, not just meet and give one lesson, and then they give us a time when they aren´t home to come back, that happens alot.
 
Ummm... Aside from some delicious hamburgers on Tuesday, I haven´t eaten anything extremely delicious.  Although I had plenty of nasty things.  There is no shortage of that.  It´s not all nasty, it´s just that after eating cow´s blood I have a hard time thinking of food right now.  Although I did actually have some ice cream on Saturday!  There is a small shop we passed in central on the way home and I forced E Jimenez to stop.  He wanted to head home, but I really wanted ice cream.  They didn´t have oreo, but they had a chocolate chip that was close enough to my favorite ice cream.  Haha. Anyway, that's all I can tell you right now about food this week.
 
We will go and check out a different house that is up for rent in Union.  It only costs 200 pesos more than the one we´re currently in.  Elder Jimenez is really hopeful that it´s nice and that we get permission to move.  I am too, but I´m not sure if it´ll work out or not.  But I guess you´ll all have to wait until next week to know if we have moved or are going to.  I really hope that we can get a shower.  The only two things that I really want are a shower and fridge.  Well... a mirror too i guess.  But if there are spots to hang up a hammock, that would be nice too, since I don´t really have a good bed.  But it´s not that bad.
 
Last night was sooooo blasting hot in our room, I looked really quickly at the blog, I saw the weather thing for Oaxaca and wished I could say that Union and Juchitan are as nice and unhumid as Oaxaca.  Haha, was hot there too, little did I know it could be hotter.  I´m still white, mostly I think, I don´t have a mirror to check, but my arms are white.  So I hope my face is too.  The sun doesn´t like white people in this part of the world.  Though it does unrelentlessly beat down on everyone.  Not just me.
 
 Oh, I forgot to take a picture of the giant jug of water, hopefully I remember next week.  I´m out of things to say for now.  Sorry, but I´m not sure what else to talk about.  I´m doing okay though.  And like I´ve said, there is alot of things to complain about.  You really don´t notice the little things until they are gone.  But I´m doing okay and it´s all been good so far.  And It´s good that my first apartment is the one that is crummy, cuz it´ll make my next one seem great, even though it probably isn´t.
 
I love you all! Thanks for all of the support which everyone has given me.  I know that the prayers that have been said on my behalf are being answered.  I´ve been so blessed with such a great trainer and with my health.  And many other things as well.  The language is extremely difficult, I still don´t understand a thing anyone says, and I feel bad about it, but it´s all going well.  I can at least speak a little bit, and I think that the people understand.  It´s weird to think that I´m the one with the weird accent.  But I guess I am.
 
I love you all.  I hope it was a good Mother´s Day.  I´m sorry I couldn´t be there, but know that I love you mom.  I know I´m where I should be right now.  I love all of you so much and miss you.  But I´m where I should be right now, and it´s only two years.  Love you and I´ll talk with you again next week.
 
Love
Jordan
 
 
 
We're standing behind a building watching a huge wind storm.  Our white shirts weren't very white after this!




Talking on the phone to you guys on Mother's Day!








Here is a picture of the family that let me use their phone to call on Mother's Day.  Their family name is Lucero and they own a dulceria, which is a candy shop.  It's attached to their home.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment