Monday, April 9, 2012

Happy Easter! Another visit to Monte Alban.

Mi familia!

 
Espero que se encuentran bien y que disfrutaron mucho su viaje a México.  Sounds like it was a fun trip, make sure that Bri doesn't forget her Spanish.  I got to see lots of wierd white people in Monte Alban today, tourists are weird, maybe its because the tourists were mostly from Europe though.  But they all looked like those tourists that you see in movies, I don't think that we are like that.  But it made me feel a little bit more Mexican than like all of the other people we saw who couldn't speak Spanish and were dressed in tourist clothes.  jaja.  Anyway, its good to hear that you had a good time visiting Mexico.  Thanks for the pictures, I want to be able to show them to people, so I can hopefully print them.  Pues, for now I will move onto the questions.
 
 
(How was conference?  Where did you go to watch it?  Did any investigators come?)
 
 
1.  We went on Saturday out to the church in Montoya, and we stayed there for the sessions, in between the second session and sacerdocio we went to visit a few members in Casablanca, which is close to there, it was really cool to be able to see a few of the members.  What was really cool, was that the familia Guerra Franklin was there in conference!  Victor and Uriel didn't come, but I got to see Victor dad, his wife and also Angel.  It seems like so long ago that we met them and taught them, and then they moved to some small Puebla in between Nochixtlan and Huajuapan.  I don't know if you remember them or not, but they were my first baptisms.
Anyway, then on Sunday we went to the church in Brenamiel.  We didn't have any investigators show, even though we invited everyone.
 
 
(How was Monte Alban the second time around?)
 
 
 2.  It was fun and cool to see.  I saw that they were selling the same chess set that I bought a long time ago when we stopped in Mexico for the Disney cruise I believe.  But I didn't buy one.  There were a lot of people there though, and it was more green this time, the other time we went the grass and plants were mostly dried up and dead.  But it was really fun to be there with our District and the other missionaries from our Zone.
 
 
(How are things going?  How is your companion doing?)
 
 
3.  We are doing okay.  He is getting better health wise, he has been having pains in his head, but not anymore, just that the medicine he is taking still makes him really dizzy in the mornings.  We haven´t been having too much success here, but we do have a baptism planned for this weekend.  Two niños, Luis Angel, who is 9 years old, and Wendy, who is 10 years old.  We have been reactivating their mom and older sister and they are all excited for their baptism this weekend.  We need to find more people to teach and we haven't had too much success tracting or with getting references from the members.  But that's how it usually seems to be.  But everything is okay down here in Oaxaca.
 
 
(What did you do for Easter?  What are the traditions there for Easter?)
 
 
 
4.  We basically just went to church and ate, then went out to visit people.  Our church starts at 1:00, I really don't like it, especially as a missionary, it seems to waste the day, because we can only get a few visits in before, and then when we finish at 4 we are really hungry and then don't get to eat until 5ish, and then aren't done until 6 6 thirty because we eat with the bishop on Sundays.  But oh well.  So we ate with the Bishop on Sunday, his wife made mole rojo, with chicken and rice, and then some water de avena.  It was pretty good, but ham and funeral potatoes really does sound like heaven to me, you're really lucky.  We opened the Easter bags yesterday, and thank you so much, I have already almost eaten all of the candy.  Normally I eat it slowly, but my companion wants to send his thanks to you for the package, he really enjoyed it, and he is especially going to enjoy the lizard, he is going to use it to scare an hermana who has a phobia of the little lizards here.  jaja, we´ll see if  he does it.  They don't have Easter here, Mexico always finds a way to do things with the maximum parties possible.  Instead they celebrate the whole week.  Its Semana Santa, and while in history and word it is all in memory of Christ's last week in His mortal life, that got all lost in the all of the traditions that there are.  I'm lucky I wasn't in Juchitan or Comitancillo this week, with all of the parties there, they won't have too much success.  Attendance, was really low this Sunday, we started church with only 16 people, and we are a ward.  There is no school for two weeks and its because of Semana Santa that there were so many people there at the beach when you went.
 
 
(I found your street on google earth.  Give me the directions to your apartment from the main highway.)
 
 
 
5.  You turn right (if you are facing the direction towards Etla).  And its only about 2,3 or 4 houses I believe up the road.  And facing away from the highway, the house is on the right side.
 
 
(How do you get to church?  The church is really far away from your apartment.)
 
 
 
6.  We go down to the highway, then we walk to the yellow pedestrian bridge that is closest to us (in the direction towards Etla).  Then once on the other side of the highway we take a bus that will drop us off closer to the church.  We get off by the tennis courts.
 
 
(So how are you feeling about the language at this point in your mission?  Could you walk up to anyone and just talk about anything, even things not gospel related?)
 
 
 
7.  I wouldn't say that its second nature, but almost.  Ya, I can go up to anyone and have a conversation that isn't about the Gospel.  There are a lot of words that I don't know so it depends on where the conversation goes, but I will be able to understand almost everything.  The only time I don't understand really well is when the people are really old and don't have teeth, then I can't understand them too well, and some of the kids that still haven't learned to talk too well, but other than that, I can speak and understand Spanish, and sometimes Spanish words come easier to my mind than English ones do.  The accent here in Oaxaca isn't a difficult one, and people don't talk to fast, so I'm lucky.  My comp speaks Spanish, but with a lot of words from Peru that are different.  He really enjoys using words that people don't understand, and I don't either, kinda annoying, but I guess Andrew will be speaking like he does, so I gotta learn some of it.
 

Hope that you all enjoyed the buses there in Mexico, sometimes its hard to figure out what is going on with them.  But when we come here we will have to use them, there is no way that I am going to be driving here, people drive like maniacs.  And that is why the governments attempts to help things out and put speed bumps everywhere, I don't know if you noticed that up where you were.  I also hope that Dad enjoyed the mole, mine was pretty good that I had yesterday.  But I guess that you will still have to wait for the Tlayudas.
 
I also have a package waiting for me, hopefully I get it tomorrow, I don't know who its from, but I guess its from Grandma?  Whoever it is from I guess you can now know that I will have it soon, thank you so much for remembering me and my companion.  I love all of you, your support and prayers are appreciated and felt.  I love all of you, and will talk to you next week!
 
Love,
Jordan













No comments:

Post a Comment