Monday, October 15, 2012

Staying in Huatulco

Hola mi familia,
 
I don't have a ton of time today to write, there are a lot of things we need to do thanks to the cambios.  But I will try to write something to the youth really quickly.  And about the end of the world comment, I agree that its coming up soon, just not in December.  Haha.  But anyway, I will move onto the questions, sadly, there isn't too much news though this week.
 
 
(So, we're excited to see what happens today.  You said you thought you would be moving.  Where are you and who is your new companion?)
 
 
1.  Well... I ended up staying here in Huatulco.  President didn't move the District Leader here, I am getting a new companion, Elder Shaum.  And Elder Price is going to Salina Cruz.  Elder Shaum is from Eden, Utah.  He has a little bit less than a year in the mission, he will hit the one year mark in a few days I believe.  He just barely showed up, don't really know him yet, though he seems like a really cool guy.  So it should be another good cambio.  We are looking forward to a lot of contacting (tracting) in the coming weeks.  Our investigator pool is low right now, we just haven't had a lot of people progressing.  But things should go pretty well.
 
 
(Did you get the package?  Was it intact?)
 
 
2.  I did receive the package, and yes, everything was intact, except the bags were slightly torn up, but it got here, the rootbeer too!  Which I gave to Elder Lule to try for the first time, he didn't think it was great, but he though it was good.  I haven't had rootbeer for a while, just wish I had a ton more to make some rootbeer floats at night.  But thank you so much for the package, it is great, and I will share the glow sticks with Juan Carlos (kid from the photos), he will love them.
 
 
(Did you have the baptism of Jaciel and Jacibet this week?)
 
 
3.  This is the sad news of the week.  We didn't have the baptism.  We should have the answer to when they can be baptized next Monday.  Presidente Leyva has to go and talk with the Area Presidency, which is just coming back from Salt Lake for some meetings, and there he is going to talk with them about Jaciel, then Monday we should find out what is going to happen.  Jacibet decided to wait for her husband before she gets baptized.  We were worried that the wait would be trying on their newly founded testimony, but we really saw that the have a stronger testimony than we imagined.  They are excited for the baptism, even though they have to wait.  We had District Conference yesterday, and they both have been practicing the last two weeks for the choir, and they sung in the choir during conference.  They have been doing great and are kind of sad the Elder Price is leaving, they wanted the both of us to be there for their baptism.  But they are doing well, and we will keep teaching and helping them, because one day they will eventually be baptized, and I know that they will be sealed in the Temple.
 
 
(Any new prospective investigators?)
 
 
4.  Not really, we had a few good lessons with investigators that haven't been progressing, and we are going to give them one more chance before dropping them.  We just haven't had success with getting them to keep their commitments.
 
 
(Can you believe Brandon comes home in 2 weeks?  Have you been writing him and has he shared his feelings about coming home?)
 
 
5.  I've still been sending him a few little messages every week, but he hasn't really shared too much on how he feels about coming home.  It is really crazy to think that he is already at that point.  Its all gone by really quickly.
 
 
(What was the most interesting thing that happened this week?)
 
 
6.  Nothing too interesting happened really.  We ate a lot yesterday, several people shared some cake with us because Elder Price is leaving, all of the members in this area really love him.  He has made a big difference here and has a good number of converts.  We also had the district conference which was really good.  And also interviews with Presidente on Saturday.  And that's about it really.
 
Well... Not too much to report, sorry about that.  But it was a good week, and I am looking forward to a new cambio.  Things are going great down here in Huatulco, hope that you all enjoy your vacations this week.  But I love you all so much, thanks mom for your package.  I will talk to you all later!
 
Love,
Jordan
 
Note from Tammy:
 
Our bishop sent an email to all of the missionaries from our ward this week (there are 17...can you believe that!) asking them to send him a message to be shared with the youth of our ward, discussing ways that they can prepare themselves now to serve a mission, since the age has been lowered and they will need to begin to prepare sooner.  He also asked them to share their testimony.  Here is Jordan's response:  I'm so amazed at how much his testimony and spirit have grown in the past 20 months!
 
 
¡Hola Jovenes!
 
I was thinking of the many things that you could all do to help be prepared to serve a mission.  While there are many things that can be really helpful to being prepared for a mission, I would like to talk about one simple part that will help out alot.  In order to be a missionary with a powerful testimony and conviction, you can start preparing right now by simply living the Gospel.  There was a great article in the Liahona/Ensign about the simple Sunday School Answers that we always give when asked a question in church.  You all know what they are, prayer, reading the scriptures, and going to church.  These are three simple things that we all know about, and know that we need to do.  However, as a missionary, you will be talking with people who don't really understand how these three simple things will bless their lives.  A lot of the time, it will be really hard for them to understand why they should do these things, and it will be hard for them to begin doing them.  As a missionary, it is your job to invite everyone to do these things, so right now, while you are preparing to leave on a mission, make sure you live the Gospel, and do these three things constantly and seriously.  Begin to say sincere prayers, not only at night or at dinnertime, but in the mornings, and at other opportune moments, even in school.  Read your scriptures, but then also make sure you are studying them, not just reading, focus especially on the Book of Mormon.  And also make sure you are attending church every Sunday, and are paying attention in classes and listening for the Holy Ghost.  As you do these things, and focus on them, you will feel blessings and peace come into your life, and you will feel the truth of the Gospel, and of the blessings that are in store for those that you will invite to do them while you are serving a mission.
 
Missionary work is hard work, but it is great work.  It is the work of the Lord.  I don't fully understand why someone simple and imperfect like me would be chosen to represent our Savior, but I know that it is by His restored authority, found in His true church, that you and I can do this work.  I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, and that through him, Christ's church was restored on the Earth.  The Book of Mormon is a true book, written by real prophets.  God is real, He is our Father, and He has a love for all of us, His children.  It is by His plan of happiness that we can be truly happy and that we can live with our family and loved ones even after this life, and into the Eternities.  And I really do know, that all of these things are true.
 
Elder Jordan Call

No comments:

Post a Comment