Hola mi querido familia!
Dia de los Muertos and Halloween are just about here! Things are going great down here in Huatulco. The people are getting ready to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos, and they are also starting to get ready for the vacation season to start up again, we are starting to slowly see an increase in people here, not sure when the big boom of tourists will happen, but its coming up in November. Wow, its crazy to think that it is already going to be November and that B is going to be home tomorrow, tell him I say hi. Time sure is flying.
(How was your week? What was the most exciting thing that happened?)
1. It was a great week, and several exciting things happened actually, so we will start with the most mission relevant, then to the more fun exciting things... well it was kinda fun.
First off, we put a baptismal date for this Sunday with a little girl, she is only nine years old and her name is Josselin. Her Grandparents and also her mom are members, but her mom has been less active and never has wanted to give her permission to be baptized. So last week we visited them because they came to the conference and then they also went two Sundays ago after we started visiting them, and then in this week we were able to talk to them about baptism and now that the mom is reactivating, she wants her daughter to be baptized. So we may have a baptism this weekend hopefully, we want Josselin´s grandfather to do the baptism, but hopefully everything goes well.
Also, the news that you always want to hear, there was another round of Fear Factor version Oaxaqueño this week. This week the challenge came in the form of turtle eggs. They are boiled in water and the shell is a gooey, rubbery covering of what is on the inside. You don't actually eat the shell, but you have to rip or make a tear on the top of the egg, revealing the gooey inside. Then the hermano poured in Valentina sauce and also squeezed lemon juice into the egg. Then it is ready for the downing. Elder Shaum was first up, and his reaction was hilarious, he couldn't do it. He sucked it all up in one gulp and he almost lost his lunch as it came quickly back out, wasn't a good impression for me, but it was funny. At least until I realized I was next. I also did it in one big gulp, I first put the egg to my lips and then I sucked and squeezed the egg with my hands, all of it shot into my mouth and ugh! It was really weird, it had a strong flavor from the salsa and lemon, but it has such a weird texture as it was in my mouth, after several gags and coming close to losing it, I managed to swallow it. I guess I would be pretty good on that show after all. Then Elder Webb went, and he sipped it little by little, I think it wasn't fair. But it was pretty funny. The Turtle eggs are not healthy at all, and honestly, they aren't that good tasting either. I don't know why they eat them. Eating one egg is like eating 8 or 9 chicken eggs, and it is loaded with cholesterol. But anyway, that was the fun experience for the week.
On a better tasting note, we also went out to cenar at a nice Italian restaurant this week, I had some super delicious lasagna.
(What's the word on Jaciel and Jacibet? I hope they are able to get baptized before you move.)
2. I am also hoping sooo much that I will still be here for their baptism. I don't want to miss it. But this Thursday Presidente Leyva will be here in Huatulco with Elder Alonso, from the Mexico Area Presidency. So Thursday he is going to talk another time with Jaciel and Jacibet. I hope that they at least can figure out a date more or less of when they can be baptized. So at least I will know if I will be here or not. But we will just have to wait and see what happens.
(Were any of your leads from last week successful?)
3. We had several successes, we had quite a few people come to church, though not as much as we were hoping. We found Alan again this week, but he didn't come, and also we found a family that moved here 3 months ago (when I got here) from Puebla, but they didn't come either. But the successes were that we had a daughter of an hermana came, and she also brought a friend that we are going to start teaching now. We have Josselin who is getting ready for her baptism, we also had an hermano who brought a friend from his work who came. So it was a really good week. We have found a few people that are looking like they may begin to progress, so we are excited, this could turn out to be a really good cambio, or at least we are going to prepare the area for a great cambio next time around.
(Leica Merriam is putting together a recipe book with recipes from missionaries. I don't think you cook too much, but is there any recipe you make I could add to her book?)
4. I dunno, down here in Oaxaca there isn't many cooking options, much less time or just the supplies. A really good quick one that is common among everyone are the syncrozindadas. Just a flour tortilla with ham and cheese (usually quesillo, which is only available in Oaxaca) cooked in a pan. Easy and fast. Unless of course you live like us in Oaxaca where Murphy's Law applies constantly. The gas system in the house isn't working so we haven't been able to cook this week, hopefully this week we get it fixed. jaja. Anyway, if a missionary goes to Mexico, they can make tacos out of chilorio, those are extremely tasty, flour tortillas, cook up the chilorio, then add salsas of your choice. It also tastes good with some refried beans. I don't cook too much though, its just too much of a hassle here to make anything worth cooking. So that's all Ive got aside from the obvious spaghetti's and all of that. Sorry.
(Any word on a special change? You mentioned that there might be, but I know you never seem to know until it's happening.)
5. No, there wont be any word, I hope that it doesn't happen though. If it does, I won't know until about 10:45 at night when I'm sleeping. Then I will spend half the night packing, and leave in the morning without saying goodbye to anyone. So it won't be predictable should it happen.
(I'm sending your Christmas package this week. Anything you need? Do you need and English conference Ensign?)
6. I should be able to get a conference Liahona here, but I don't know, there isn't too much that I will be needing really. Just a few treats will be okay. If you are planning on sending a Thanksgiving package, send some stuffing, we have a family that invited us to go over for Thanksgiving, we just have to help make the stuff, because they don't know how, so I would like to have stuffing. For Christmas though, I don't know where I will be and what I will want, sorry about that. But don't worry about sending too much.
(I don't remember if I've asked before or not but do they go Trick-or-treating there?
7. Here in Huatulco, everyone has told us that nobody does anything for Halloween like trick or treating. In Etla last year there were a few kids who were out doing it, but here they don't do it. Just the normal things for Dia de los Muertos.
(Share any special experiences you've had this week.)
8. Nothing too exciting. We had some cool lessons, and we also gave a blessing to someone who was feeling sick from all of the pressure of examines from college. Didn't make me any excited to go home, but it was neat to see the faith of the members in the Priesthood and in the help offered by our Heavenly Father.
Well... that was a lot of writing. I want to remind you to send me a copy of the Christmas card, I'd like to see it too. Ummm... what else did I want to say? Keep taking care of Pepper for me, tell Brandon I say hola. And hey, what house did the people buy on House Hunters? Tell us where they are so we can go and knock their door, jaja. I really would do it if you can give me enough info to find it. If its super fresa it may be in Sector O or in Sector M. Is it in Santa Cruz? Where else could it be... Tangolunda or Montecito. I think it would be funny to say that I contacted them, I just wanted to ask if you wanted me to do so jaja. At least I know it wasn't in H3.
We have a multi-zone conference this weekend with Elder Alonso and Presidente. We will go to Puerto Escondido this Friday and they are going to pass through Huatulco on Thursday. So that should be really neat. Its cool that Dad gets to be a special physician for the seventy, that should be really neat to meet him. I bet it will be a great experience for everyone there.
Anyway, I forgot the other things that I wanted to say, and I also am almost out of time, I love you all so much and hope that you have a wonderful week!
Love,
Jordan
No comments:
Post a Comment