¿Como estan todos? I hope that you are all having a wonderful time getting ready for Christmas. Not to mention preparing for the end of the world, jaja. I was hoping for more people to be worried and want to repent, but it wasn't until today that we really have talked to anybody that has been worried. Guess we will have to wait and see what happens right?
Its great to hear that the Aggies won the Potato Bowl, hopefully I get to see them have another winning season when I get back. I also will let you know that I am still planning to call you on the 25th at 4:00, though I'm worried about remembering my account and password to be honest, I have no idea what they were, soooo I may have to make a new one, though I will be able to write you quickly on Monday before the call, so I will let you know if I need to make a new one or something like that.
Oh, and before I get on to the questions I want to thank Todd for his wonderful Christmas card!
(How was the week? Any new investigators? How are Aurora and Luz doing?)
1. It was a really wonderful week this week, and it was much needed. First off, we had a conference on Wednesday (I will write about that in a later question I believe). Then we received a wonderful blessing of contacting a new investigator that is probably the most prepared one that I have ever heard of. We got a call Wednesday night on the bus ride back from Puerto Escondido, it was Presidente Chava (the branch president), and he told us that he had just heard of a young man who wanted to meet with us the next day in the church and that he set up an appointment at 12:00 in the casa de oracion. So we were planning on going, the President also said that he was going to confirm with us later if the person could meet us (he wasn't sure yet). He never called back, but we planned on going anyway. The next morning we got a call from the offices in Oaxaca and they told us about a reference that they received through Mormon.org. And this has never happened in my mission or in anyone else´s that I know of in Oaxaca. So they gave us his name and phone number saying we had to contact him that same day and let them know how it went. So I called and he already knew who we were, and it tuns out to be the same person, so we go and meet him at 12:00 in the church. His name is Sergio, and he has already talked with the missionaries through skype and has read about the church and seen Mormon messages on youtube. He is 20 years old and he also came to church on Sunday. We pretty much don't have to do much work with him, but he is really excited and loves the church so far. We are hoping to put a baptismal date with him this week. But it was a huge blessing from the Lord, and its amazing how He is always preparing people to find and receive the Gospel.
As for Aurora and Luz. Luz who was doing so well and progressing, just disappeared, we don't know where she is, she just didn't show up to her work (we taught her while she was working) and now is gone. And Aurora keeps finding excuses to not go to church, though she still listens and prays and everything else.
And the last part of the week that was amazing, came as a great blessing and surprise. Elder Blodgett (DL in Huatulco 2, he is with Elder Shaum) called us Friday night and let us know that Jaciel and Jacibeth were getting baptized the next day. It was a sudden surprise for us, Elder Blodgett and Shaum, and also Jaciel and Jacibeth. I don't know the whole story of how it happened, but I guess President Leyva called and let them know that they could be baptized now, even though he had originally said that they couldn't until January. And I also was allowed to go and be there, and I was also invited to perform the ordinance for Jacibeth. It was a super special day and the baptismal service was beautiful. It was a really great blessing that the Lord gave to me. I wasn't sure if I was going to be present for their baptism.
All in all, it was a really great week.
(Did more people show up for church? Do they do a special Christmas program there for Christmas?)
2. Last Christmas I gave a talk in Comitancillo, but nothing too special. And this Christmas I don't think there is any special program, just a normal Sunday, don't think I'll be talking either. And I don't think we will have more people, it will either be the same if not less. But as for yesterday, we only had one investigator come to church, and that was Sergio, who really enjoyed it. I've never had an investigator that was so open and not scared or nervous being there for the first time, its usually hard because it is something new for the people when they go, but Sergio was asking me questions and was at ease in the Church. And as for the members, more people showed up, and also the District President came to planch the members a bit too. (planch doesn't really have a good English translation, its a missionary term too, but basically he got mad at them for slacking off in callings) Hopefully we may have a branch mission leader come out of it though.
(Ok, Elder Vega emailed me and said you had a couple of packages. What were they?)
3. I have the 1st and the 3rd, but not the 2nd. I never got the small one. I don't know how the first one got here, but somehow it got to the LZs in Huatulco and a member brought it out to me one night. And I got the 3rd one in the conference on Wednesday. I'm also thinking about sharing the presents in one of them with a family here, but let me know if there are gifts that are specifically for us. Presents on Christmas doesn't happen in Mexico, nobody here has that tradition really, so it will be different. I just wanted to ask if the presents are all candy in the 3rd package so that we could take them over and open them with a family on Christmas Day, and also read the scriptures with them too that are on each one. What do you think about that? Let me know next week if you think that it would work out okay, I feel bad having so many presents all to ourselves, I'd rather share them. I'm just worried we may not be able to do that because it is Tuesday, and Tuesday we have the District Meeting in Huatulco. But I just thought that I would ask what you thought.
(Do you have any special conferences planned for Christmas? How was the one last week in Puerto Escondido? Was that the main conference for you for Christmas?)
4 y 5. We had the multi-zone conference this Wednesday, and it was for Christmas I guess. President capacitated us for a while and gave a really great lesson centered on the talk that Elder Oaks gave a few conferences ago about desire. I remember that I loved that talk, and it was a really great capacitation. We also saw the video that Hermana Leyva made for Christmas. Thank you so much for your photos! I loved them, and also that dad was holding Pepper in a sombrero! Jaja. I loved your sombreros too! You guys were the first picture actually, I don't know if Hna. Leyva has sent you the video or anything. Afterwards we got to play some sports, so I actually got to play some basketball for the first time in forever, it was really fun. But it was a really good conference.
(What are your plans for Christmas Eve? You said there was a special family night. Is that with the branch or with a family?)
6. The branch is planning a dinner and a dance thing as well. And I believe that the primary kids also have something that they are going to present as well. But it was moved to Christmas night (the 25th) because we aren't allowed to be in the church Mondays after 6 o'clock, which was when it was originally planned. So after the skype call we will be headed over to that most likely. We are also trying to teach some Christmas messages using the lights that you sent me and our own different but similar Spanish version of the talk that you sent as well. But aside from that, it really doesn't feel like Christmas over here, it just isn't quite as festive without snow and without seeing Christmas trees everywhere, there are only a few. Even though that isn't what Christmas is about, its what gives it a special feel.
(What was the most interesting thing that happened this week?)
7. Well, I've really told you all of the fun things of the week, the conference, the new investigator, and the surprise baptism, so there isn't much more to say.
Well, I am out of time almost and just want to say that I love you all so much. I hope you have a great week and are ready for Christmas. Talk to you all later.
Love,
Jordan
No comments:
Post a Comment