I say the same thing at the start of every letter so I thought that I would try to change things up a bit this week, jaja. Anyway, how are you all doing? I hope that everyone had a great week. Thanks for the photos of Brianna going to her dance recital and also the pic eating fired ice cream. I hope that you enjoyed your B-day Braden!
It was a good week for us down here, we are still getting to know Santa Maria,but we are getting it down. This keyboard is slightly busted and is bugging me, so sorry if a lot of spaces don't appear where they should,the space bar is broken and is a pain to press. Anyway, I guess I will go onto the questions.
(Tell us about your new greenie. What's his name, where's he from, stuff like that.)
1. My new companion is Elder Resendiz. He is from DF (Distrito Federal), or in other words, from Mexico City. He is about to complete a month in a few days, so he is just beginning, but he is a really good guy and a great missionary. He still makes some greenie mistakes, which is to be expected, but he is already really good at teaching and is going to make a great missionary. We had a really good week, though sadly we didn't have any of our investigators show up to church yesterday, which was the only bummer. We also don't have too many investigators right now, so it is going to be hard getting things up and running for us herein Santa Maria, but I think things will go well for this cambio.
(What is it you do to study with him in the mornings?)
2. We have an extra hour of companion study in the mornings for his first 12 weeks in the mission field. So we study personally from 8 to 9,then from 9 to 11 we study together. At first we plan lessons specifically for the appointments that we have for the day, and then we have specific things to study that come from a new training booklet that all of the missions are now using, so Braden will probably go through the exact same thing. But it has training videos that we will watch and exercises that we will do, scriptures to read, and other things, so we just go through it together and I try to teach him the best that I can. But he is a really fast learner and he is already doing really well in the lessons with everything that we need to do.
(I almost hate to ask, but any news of the package?)
3. No news on the package, I guess it was eaten by the Mexican post office monster or something like that.
(I think I found your apartment on google earth. Is it above some shops, one of them is called Caseta Telefonica and it's across the street from a Modelorama?)
4. You found it. We live right above the caseta. Its a really good spot and the house is really nice, especially after we did a big time cleaning job today, the fridge, kitchen, and bathroom haven't been cleaned by missionaries in a long time. But now it is looking really good. It a nice house, the only problem is that we are right across from the taxis, who park in front of the modelorama, and we have the windows open to cool the house down at night. And they are always making a ton of noise, which bugs us when we are trying to sleep. Then they also show up and make a lot of noise at about 5:00 in the morning, but aside from that, its a nice place to live.
(How do you find investigators now that you can't do tracting?)
5. We have to find almost everybody through references from the members or from investigators, we are also supposed to focus more on less actives and find people to teach that way too, either through references from less actives or from members of their family that aren't members. So we went around this week getting to know the members, sharing a message, and then having some way to ask them for references, which sometimes requires a lot of tact in order to have success. And so we found a few new people to teach this week ,but we really need a lot more people to teach,we are having a hard time keeping really busy in the days, because the branch is small and we don't have a lot of investigators. So we are also starting to go looking for old investigators that listened to the missionaries before but recently haven't been listening to them. So we are hoping to find alot more people to start teaching this week.
(What are your plans for the Christmas phone call? Can we skype again? Do you want to do it on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?)
6. They haven't told us anything, but skype is just way better and cheaper, so I'm assuming that we can skype. As for the day and time, you can plan it out, the only thing that might be bad is that the branch is planning an activity on Christmas Eve, and it starts at 6:00, so Monday night we will probably be there, but if that turns out to be the best time to do it, then let me know and it will be okay if we aren't there, but I would like to be there. So just let me know how you want to do it and I will work out where and how I can do it. Because there is a member with a computer that we might be able to use, or else just in an internet like before.
(We just watched the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional. Did you get to see it there?)
7. No,because it was only put on in Huatulco, so a few members went there yesterday and they told us about it, but we aren't allowed to leave the area. I think that it would have been great for some investigators to go, but oh well. Hopefully it was good and you enjoyed it.
(For Braden's birthday we went to Cafe Sabor and he got fried ice cream. It got me thinking that I don't think I've ever seen fried ice cream in Mexico. Do they have it there or is it another American thing we've made Mexican?)
8. Funny that you should bring that up. About 3 weeks ago, Elder Shaum and I were walking through the park in Bahias de Huatulco, and we saw a sign that read "Helado Frito." (literal translation: Fried Ice Cream) So I was all excited and told him that we had to get some, because the fried ice cream at Sabor is really good. So a few days later we went to buy some, it wasn't fried ice cream as we know it sadly, I was disappointed. Though it was kinda cool how they made it. The prepared a liquid and put it on a stove thing and it turned the liquid into ice cream, as though it cooked it into ice cream, and so that's why they called it fried ice cream, it was really good, but it wasn't fried ice cream, and it really made me want to eat some, but I don't think that it exists down here.
So I hope that you enjoyed your fried ice cream, because I don't have any down here. I also put two pics onto this email, they are from last Monday night, they are pictures we took in the ADO with Elder Lopez as he left on his way home to Chihuahua. Next week I will try to send you some pics of the house and also of me and my comp, I dont have any right now.
Anyway, I hope that you have a great week. I'm kinda freaking out that I already have my tickets bought, its crazy. But anyway, I'm hoping that we have a great week down here too. I love you all so much and thank you for all of your prayers and love. I will talk to you all next week! And let me know what you want to do for the phone call on Christmas
Love,
Jordan
No comments:
Post a Comment