Wednesday, February 16, 2011

MTC

So, today was the big day we've been waiting for these past 4 months.  We took Jordan to the MTC.  Last night the stake president came over and set him apart as a missionary for the next two years.  Nate's dad and the bishop were there as well.  It was a very special, spiritual evening.  I feel like I've cried a river of tears, but somehow I feel a strong peace as well.  I know Jordan is going to be a fabulous missionary and I'm so proud of him for making this decision in his life.

Of course as a mom, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for myself too.  I'm going to miss him terribly!  After we arrived in Provo, we drove up to the temple to take a few last pictures and say our goodbyes.  Then we drove into the MTC, unloaded his suitcases, had a minute for a quick hug and picture, and that was it.  He was gone.  I feel like I've been saying goodbye to him for weeks, but this was really it.  Just so final.  So for the rest of the day I kept thinking about what he would be doing.  Had he met his companion?  Did he get to unpack?  How was his room? What time was dinner?  What time was bedtime?  I wanted to just text him like always and find out all of these things.  I think that is part of why this is so difficult.  It is complete isolation when I am so used to having him just a phone call or text away.  Not easy for a mom who has taken care of someone for 19 years to simply be cut off.  But I will get through this and I know he will too.  He is such a wonderful young man. 

I think this blog will be as much for me as it is for him.  It feels good to put words to my feelings.  I hope to write some of his letters here as well and share with you all that his is doing and experiencing.  So...here's to the next two years of adventure!

2 comments:

  1. And what a wonderful Mom you are! He is a great young man and he would not be who or where he is if it were not for you and Nate being the great parents you have been. Kudos to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog Tammy. This will become such a treasure for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete