Monday, September 26, 2011

Hola de Oaxaca!

¡Hola mi familia!

Sorry, but today´s letter is going to be kinda quick.  Elder Duncan of the seventy is going to visit us way down here in Oaxaca for the upcoming Zone Conference.  (still don't know when it will be exactly)  But we all have to write a 3 minute talk that is going to be sent to him, and then he will choose a few people to talk in the conference.  So I have to write it, and they told us it has to be done today.  Its just like school again, only this time its not my fault that I waited until the last day to do my homework, I didn't get a chance to do it early.  haha.  So I'll have to write fast.  So as normal, on to the questions.
 
(How are your investigators this week?  Any baptisms scheduled?)

1.  We are expecting a baptism this weekend, we aren´t sure when it will be because of general conference.  But we should be baptizing Maria Agustina.  She is 80 years old and is the mother of a member in our ward.  The member was mas o menos active in the church, and so we went and visited him several times.  Then we decided we should try to teach his mom.  And everything has gone great, she is really nice and is always happy to see us.  She lives in a small house with her son, hermano Mariscal, and with two of her grandchildren, Alejandra (8 years old) and Diana (almost 4 years old).  We are hoping to baptize Alejandra also, but her mom still hasn´t given permission, but we are hoping.  But Maria Agustina has given us some delicious leche de chocolate several times, I'm looking for a molinillo and some good chocolate, I might be able to find some Thursday.  We go and eat with an Hermana that lives outside of our area, but comes to our ward anyway, and she lives in Centro.
We also have other investigators that are ready to be baptized, but need to get married, and it may take a lot of time for that to happen, because they are still married to other people, so they have to get divorced and then get married, hopefully in the future though.
 
(Is it getting cold there yet?  Do you need me to send a jacket or can you buy one?)

2.  Supposedly it will keep getting colder, but I still think its warm at night.  Most of the people here bundle up tightly for the night, but I am happy when the sun is down and its nice.  And who knows if I will go to the coast or the Istmo before it gets "cold."  There is always a chance I go north to the sierra where it may actually be cold, but so far, I haven't had any problems with this cold that everyone says is already here.  I'm still a Utahn.
 
(Have you sent in pictures to Sis. Levya yet?)

3.  I haven't had time to send any pics to here yet, and today I still wont have time.  I'm going to try to send some when I can, but I'm not sure when.
 
(How are your shoes holding up?  Do you polish them?)

4.  They are okay, they aren't really worn down yet, though they definitely are gonna be heading that way.  Yes, I polish them every two or three days.  Yes you sent me polish, yes, they sell polish at Bodega.  So I'm fine.  Its just that all of the streets are really dusty, and up in the hills the roads are just dirt.  Usually my shoes are all dusty and brown before we can arrive at our first appointment of the day.
 
(Anything exciting happen this week?)

5.  Hmmmm...  I don't know, this week wasn't too exciting either.  We have just been doing normal missionary work.  I found out that Monte Alban supposedly has a font that was once filled with water, and its supposedly a baptismal font. We had a cool discussion during one meal about all of the history of the various peoples whose ruins and languages are left here in Oaxaca.  Really, I don't think anything really interesting happened, sorry.  Marianna was confirmed yesterday in church, we also had a really good Noche de Hogar with some hermanos and with Hermana Alma and Marianna. I learned how to make a salsa in a..... oh I've already forgotten what its called.  I'm sure you know what it is mom, you probably know more about Oaxaca than I do.  But its a little stone bowl, and it comes with a small stone that you use to grind everything up in it.  But the salsa was really good.

We were called on to give a talk at the last second yesterday, the people assigned didn't show up.  So I resorted to giving a translation of part of my farewell talk, I talked about prayer, because I couldn't think of an easier topic.  And used my story that I shared, I dunno, it was okay, but I thought it was hard and scary talking in front of a lot of people in English, but it gets harder in Spanish.
 
(Do you get to watch General Conference?  I heard that some Mexican missions don't allow it unless you have investigators.)

6. Yes we will be able to watch General Conference.  There will be two churches in the stake Monte Alban (ours) that will have it.  We will go to the capilla of Montoya.  I believe we will go to all of the sessions, but I'm not entirely sure.  We should have some investigators come with us, we are hoping the prophet can do some good missionary work with us.  But I do know that we will be watching it.

Anyway, guess I had better move on really quickly and try to write a talk in Spanish.  I'm not sure if Elder Duncan speaks Spanish or not, but maybe he went on a Spanish speaking mission.  Id assume that it is the most common language for people to learn on their mission.  But ya, I don't know what else to say.  So sorry for a shorter letter.

But I love you all so much.  I will talk to you next week!

Love,
Jordan
 
 

I don't have many pics this week.  So here is another pic from the party at the church on the 15th.  And then the other is me with a little kitten.  We were teaching and it kept trying to climb up on my lap, sit for a while, then get off.  Then after a few minutes it would come back.  And eventually it fell asleep.  It was pretty funny, so we took a picture.  I miss my little Pepper.  haha.  Hope she isn't too upset.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment