Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Xoxocotlan...or just hoho for short!

Hola mi familia!
I'm sure you are all excited and curious as to what happened this week, I`ll get to that in a second though. How are you all doing? Hopefully you are all enjoying summer, though it does sound kinda cold. Wish I could get that, the rainy season is having a hard time starting up down here, though for the majority of this week is has rained a bit every afternoon, but never too much. That's exciting to hear that Braden is going to Engineering State, I'm sure he`ll enjoy it, it was really cool, wish I could go back and enjoy it a little bit more and also think a lot more about if its something that I should study when I'm back in college. But hope he enjoys it, I would like to hear what he thinks when its over. But I`ll get on to the questions that you want to hear about for now.
 
 
(So...did you move today or get a new companion?)
 
1. The big one. Well, I am in a new area and with a new comp, but today I didn't change areas and just received a new companion. How is that possible? Well, guess I better explain. They wanted to move both the elders out of this area during changes, but wanted someone to be able to come and try to learn as much of the area and about the members and investigators as possible so that the new elders weren`t as lost when we started the new cambio. So I got a call Monday night of last week saying that I had Special Cambios and that tomorrow (Tuesday) I would go to a new area called Donaji. So I moved Tuesday suddenly to Donaji and couldn't say goodbye to anyone. So I spent 5 days of last week with Elder Butler, he showed me as much of the area and people as he could, though the area is huge and really confusing, though I guess that I learned at least some things that will be really useful to know. So today, Elder Butler received cambios and is leaving for the Istmo, for Tehuantecpec, and now I just got my new companion, Elder Carrasco.
Name sound familiar? Well, if you`ve forgotten we were companions two cambios ago in Comitancillo. Don`t have a clue as to why I got the same companion again, but maybe it has something to do with what you told me in the letter, which coincided really well with these changes. Or maybe I just didn't learn something that I should have from him, so I need to learn it this time around. But that's okay, should be a good change though.
But we may walk around lost a few times this week if I forget some of the huge amounts of info that Elder Butler shoved in my head. The ward is really big, yesterday there were about 100 people in church. maybe a bit more. But the bishop had me give an impromptu talk yesterday in church, don`t know why I didn't think that it would have happened, so it caught me off guard because giving a talk my first Sunday there didn't cross my mind, but I guess that it went okay. I`ll thank you again for the book of inspirational stories you sent a while back, I used one of the stories in my talk that I have memorized, helped out a lot.
So here I am in the area of Donaji. It coincides with part of the city that is called Xoxocotlan, Xoxo for short. It sounds like what Santa says alot during Christmas time (hoho). We also have all the way to a pueblo called Arrazola, it used to be a pretty popular tourist spot, and we went there once last week for a comida, its a nice place, a lot nicer than the rest of the area. We live in a fraccionamiento called Vista Real. So see if you can find it on google. Thats all I can think of to say about the cambios for now. A few more facts are that Elder Carrasco will complete 9 months in a few days, then I will complete 16 pretty fast, two days after him. He is from Sinaloa, a place called Los Mochis. And ya... I guess I will know more next week about the area and will be able to answer any other Qs that you have.
 
 
(Did you get the package?  It says it arrived on June 5th.)
 
2. Well, I was told that it arrived and that I will get it tomorrow, I feel sad that I'm not there to give the family those stickers. But I am going to try to send a little letter to them with the stickers through the Elders, I believe that Elder Day is in my District, so maybe I can give it to him to take to the offices and then they can pass it along to La Joya for me. I hope so at least.
 
 
(Did you have the baptism that was scheduled for the 10th?)
 
3. Well, that's the sad news, I don't know, I hope so, but IMO not sure when I will be able to find out. That was probably the saddest part about me receiving these changes.
 
 
(Any new investigators?)
 
4. Well, I'm still getting to know the ones here in Donaji, there isn't anyone that is really close to baptism right now, but we actually found a new investigator yesterday. A member gave us a reference to go and visit her. Her name is Carmen. She seemed interested and was really nice to us. We were talking with her and found out that she actually has Greek ancestors. Though its not that far back, her Grandpa is from Greece and moved to the US, got married there with someone from Oaxaca and then his wife died after having moved to Oaxaca. She said that her grandpa always had plans to take his family back to Greece, but because of the second world war he never could return, he passed away the same year that the war ended, then the family has stayed here in Oaxaca, Carmen says that she always planned to move to Greece but hasn't, now she already has her grand kids and kids in Mexico, so she has decided to stay. But it was really cool to talk with her, I told her that I have Greek ancestors as well, and she said the last name of her father, and it sounded really similar to Grandma K`s last name (I don't want to spell it out because I will probably spell it wrong). But hopefully we can keep meeting with her and that she will progress.
 
 
(Tell us something fun/exciting/different that happened this week.)
 
5. It was a really fun week this week. I cant point out a specific moment or story about it, but it was fun to be with Elder Butler, he is a great Elder and really fun to be with. I'm sad we were comps for only a week. I also found out that Elder Butler also went to USU just like Elder Wilson, small world. But I guess its even smaller when you are meeting missionaries and you are a missionary from Utah I guess.
Well, that's the news for the week. It was an interesting week, I really enjoyed it though. I'm hoping that we can have lots of success here in Donaji. Of course we choose an Internet without an SD memory card spot, so I cant send fotos. Lo siento. You can all think of me this week and imagine me lost in the windy confusing dirt roads of this area, we`ll see how it goes, should be fun. Oh ya, I just remembered, I had several things that I wanted to ask you.
The least important first, we heard through a member that the Euro dropped in value a huge amount and is now worth less than a dollar, that sounds kinda crazy, and I'm just kinda curious to know if its true.
Second, I also would like to know if you could find a way to get and send me my line of authority. I don't think that I have ever had mine, I saw Elder Wilson's and also Elder Butlers recently and would like to have mine, just so that I can have it. I'm not sure if you can get that for me through the bishop or someone else.
That's it I think... anyway, I love you all so much. Hope that you guys all have a wonderful week. I will be able to go to the temple Wednesday morning, looking forward to that. Thank you for all that you do for me, I feel your love way down here in Oaxaca. Have a great week!
Love,
Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment