Monday, October 1, 2012

The best thing about being a missionary

Ni Hau Ma?

Hey family, yet another week has gone by, its going really fast.  It always seems to go faster in the second cambio.  But anyway, things are going good down here in Huatulco.  Its raining right now and it is really hot and humid.  I'm sorry that I don't have a lot of time today, we have a Noche de Hogar with a family tonight, and also with Jaziel and Jazibeth, so we have been rushing to get a good lesson ready before it.  So I have to go onto the questions, but you gave me some hard ones today dad.  Sorry if I have to answer them quickly.
 
 
(Are you looking forward to Conference next week?  Where will you watch it and will it be dubbed in Spanish?)
 

1.  They always play it in Spanish, so its good.  All of the other conferences I've been in though, we have been in a stake center and they always had it playing in English for all of the English missionaries.  So this time, I'm not sure if they will be able to set it up for us this time around.  I really prefer it in English, even though I understand it, its just that it seems alot more powerful to me when I can hear it in the actual voice of the prophet and the twelve.  But we will see what happens, I'm excited for it though.
 
 
(What is your favorite missionary lesson to teach?)
 

2.  My favorite lesson is the first lesson, The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Its our unique message to the world, and my favorite part is the First Vision.  It is really neat to feel how the spirit is invited into the lesson as we tell about Joseph Smith and the Restoration through the First Vision.  It always is the part where the people pay more attention, and it is always really special.  Though I really do love all of the lessons.
 
 
(What's the hardest thing about being a missionary?)
 

3.  Hmmm... I really don't know what the hardest part is.  There are alot of moments when I get kinda sad and upset, usually because people are rejecting us, and mostly its sometimes a bit of frustration when we teach people and then they don't put effort or importance in the things we are sharing and don't keep the commitments that we leave them.  Really, its just because we as missionaries really understand how much this message and our invitations will bless their lives, and then they don't want it or accept it.  That is what is really the hardest part, because sometimes it can put you in the dumps, but every time that you see one person accept, and especially when they receive blessings, it all overcomes those bad feelings.
 
 
(What's the best thing about being a missionary?)
 

4.  That really is what is the best part of missionary work is, when you can see the people find the Gospel and see the blessings come into their lives.  We had a lesson Saturday with Jaziel and Jasibeth, and Jasibeth began to tell us about how she doesn't know how it is that we happened to show up at exactly the right time to literally save her marriage.  As a missionary, sometimes we don't even get to see the miracles that are occurring around us, but Heavenly Father takes us, and sends us where we need to be, when we need to be there, and people`s lives are changed for good.  They are some really special moments.
 
 
(What have been your top 3 experiences so far?)
 

5.  I couldn't ever put them in order, but three of my favorite experiences...  One would have to be when we were in Casablanca.  I still remember the Sunday that Victor Hugo, Anahi, and their 3 kids showed up to church, and how the next day I found out why we had received such a great blessing.  You had all fasted that week for us to have some success and receive help, and I know that Heavenly Father answered your prayers, and it was a really special time being able to teach that family and see them enter into the waters of baptism.
 
Another one is from Casablanca, and it was the week of the baptism of Maria Augustina.  It was one of the most special answers to prayer that I have seen on my mission, though there have been many.  I remember the lesson we had, when she finally told us about her concern and fear of being baptised.  Her daughter had threatened to leave her and never talk to her again if she was baptized.  I spoke about prayer, and testified that God would answer her sincere prayer, and would help her in her situation.  The next day, she had prayed, and her daughter miraculously showed up to her house and asked for forgiveness for what she had said, and that she would support her if she wished to be baptized.  It was a plain and very simple miracle, but a miracle nonetheless.  She was baptized a few days later.
 
Now that I'm thinking about it, alot of my favorite and most cherished moments, all have something to do with answers to prayer or fasting.  There are many other experiences, but the third one that came to my mind, was when we were about to have stake conference in the Juchitan las Flores stake, I was in Comitancillo.  The teachers were on strike, I think it was them, or maybe the taxi drivers, but anyway, they had the roads blocked, and there was no passage from Comitancillo to Juchitan.  I remember talking about it a few days before with Hermano Nataren.  And he told us, he had prayed that the block would be lifted, and he knew with a surety beyond mine (I honestly didn't think that it would disappear, neither did the gossip in Comi) that it would be gone and that the bus would be able to take us there safely.  Saturday rolled around, and the roadblock was gone.  It was something to hear the almost perfect faith this hermano had, that our Heavenly Father would answer his prayer.

The mission is something extremely special, it has been an amazing time.  I love you all so much, and hope that you keep receiving all the blessings of the Lord.  I will talk to you all later.

Love,
Jordan

1 comment: